Today is also the kickoff to my birthday weekend; and it is currently freezing in Southern California. What a perfect day to to share the most delicious birthday cake ball recipe from The Bakerella!
*My brother Barrett is a chef at Momofuku in NYC and sent these, most-amazing-thing-I-have-ever-put-in-my-mouth, Birthday Cake Truffles from the Momofuku Milk Bar. Love you B!
Birthday Cake Balls
The Bakerella uses red velvet cake mix for this recipe; but you can use any cake mix.
Red Velvet Cake Balls
1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate)
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50. You can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper, but I like to hand roll them.)
4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer.)
5. Melt chocolate in microwave or stove per directions on package.
6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)