Meet the Muses of Lovers Lane, my beautifully talented and creative friends, Cary Vaughan and Jenna Wilson. Cary and Jenna are mothers, wives, and best friends. They are also the fashion designers behind the insanely cool and sought after style label, ace&jig.
ace&jig is a true Love story. Cary and Jenna met almost 10 years ago when they were both NYC fashion interns. They quickly developed a friendship founded in their mutual Love for textiles, history, and tradition. Together, they spent their time sketching designs at all hours of the night, hunting through every vintage store with a purpose and a quest, and inspiring each other every step of the way. And as their friendship grew, so did their opportunities. Together, Cary and Jenna became a dynamic team, building and designing major fashion labels, including LaROK. However, in 2007 they both decided that it was time to focus their Love on creating their own families. Cary gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Alice; and soon after, Jenna gave birth to a handsome baby boy named James.
Shortly after the birth of their babies, Cary and Jenna decided it was their time to create a company together: A collection of clothing designs that would "combine their rich history to reinvent the notion of cool, accessible items inspired by antique textures and colored stripes of heritage cloth, (with) artisanal textile stories (and) effortless silhouettes." They followed this artistic dream into reality; and ace&jig was born!
ace&jig is "not a collection of denim, tees or knitwear; we wanted to create our own yarn-dye woven fabric. A fabric that could lead many lives, and tell many stories. We wanted to create effortless clothes where the fabric could speak for itself. Accessible clothes that are not overstyled, (instead) pieces that you keep forever and Love. We created a unique woven fabric story." And what I would also call a Love story, staring two amazing friends who live their life with artistry, style, grace, and inspiration.
Cary and Jenna had a "fun time" answering the Lovers Lane Questionnaire; and I hope you will have just as much fun reading their answers and becoming inspired by their story. I know I have!
1. Where do you find your daily inspiration? Ahhhh, visual delights! Our daily world is full of colors, sounds, textures, stories…. inspiration is all around us, its really your lens that is unique. The challenge is about absorbing it and putting it into your preferred medium.
2. What is your most treasured item in your home? Items that have been in our family and passed down… Jenna: My grandmother’s steamer trunk. She moved from Scotland to Canada.
Cary: My grandmother’s charm bracelet…it has a profile charm of each person in her family.
3. What is your favorite comfort food? Cary: Steak and scallop potatoes. Jenna: Sushi
4. When did you realize that you were an artist? Cary: I wanted to draw all the time as a kid. My mom jokes that she should have bought stock in crayola the way I used to go through crayons and markers. And, I was always super dramatic. At my rehearsal dinner, a video was played of me singing all the songs to “Annie” when I was 4. My 3 year old daughter is just like I was. I think being in an environment where expression is nourished is really vital to create. Alice and I have dance parties every day together. I don’t really remember ever being like, 'I am an artist,' more like, 'this is what turns me on.'
Jenna: I was always making things as a child…sewing, knitting. I made a whole knitwear collection for my cats! I feel like I was always doing things with my hands- paper maiche, crafts, always getting messy with different mediums at a very young age.
5. Best advice you ever received? The grass is always greener and Have no regrets.
6. Your best advice to an aspiring artist? Follow your passion.
7. What is one thing people would not know about you? Ace&Jig are our kids initials.
8. Are you a Lover of Vintage? That’s an understatement.
9. Where can we find you next? (Blog Lovers get attached easily) Our Spring '11 collection hits stores in March. Check out our website www.aceandjig.com for store list!
10. What is your favorite thing to wear? We go through phases. We definitely have repeat outfits on rotation! Right now, because of all the snow in NY, we have been living in these great knitwear hats from denmark by S.N.S. Herning, and Annie’s All Knitwear made to order hats.