Today is not any different. In fact, today's Lovers Lane is the perfect example of what Vintage is for Lovers means to me, (and hopefully to you too.)
Lovers Lane: Kate Ruggiero
Throughout our lives, many of us ask ourselves; "Am I doing what I truly Love? Am I living where I want to live? Am I living the life I Love? Am I honoring me and all that makes me who I am?" Although many of us think about these things in our head, how many of us are willing to listen and follow our hearts?
Meet Kate Ruggiero. A free spirited, beach loving, woman, living in Hawaii, designing and creating one of a kind underwear, and following her heart every step of the way. Yes, she is the girl of your dreams. You know the one; the dream where you move to an island, open shop, and live the life! So how did Kate turn her dream into a reality? Simply, she says; "Follow your heart."
And that is just what Kate did after spending a vacation in Hawaii, bike riding down paths filled with tropical flowers and palm trees, relaxing on the beach with her toes in the sand, listening to the rhythmic sounds of the ocean, and grasping every opportunity to soak in the beauty surrounding her. She left her life as a studio manager for a fashion photographer, living in New York City, surrounded by friends and family; for a house by the beach and a life of the unknown. But Kate knew in her heart that she needed to follow her dream of "living a simple way of life that would provide (her) the space she needed to discover (her) true passions."
Kate, inspired by the nature of Hawaii, quickly discovered her passion for designing, creating, and sewing. And in July 2009, on her 30th birthday, her close friends gifted her with her first sewing machine. Kate began playing around with fabrics and designs; and quickly discovered a passion for creating "cute, comfy, sexy undies." Less than a year late, in May 2010, Kate successfully launched her dream company, Gypsy.
Gypsy is a collection of one of a kind, hand sewn, undies. Each piece is designed with a modern vintage look, using unique and beautiful fabrics. Inherent in each collection is Kate's "love of the romance and dreaminess of really being down to your true self and wearing something that just makes you feel pretty." Gypsy is the embodiment of "being your own person and following your heart." Each pair has me wanting to take off all my clothes and run right into the ocean, in honor of the free spirited, beach loving, romantic that I am, of course!
|into the mystic|
|arm around you|
|among the wildflowers|
|wild is the wind|
*All pictures were taken by the very talented, photographer, Daeja Fallas.
Kate Ruggiero has learned many things throughout her journey. But most importantly, she has learned that: "No matter how much you doubt yourself or what your fears or hesitations in life are, things will work out if you simply listen to your heart & believe solely in what you want. I believe that business can create social change, especially when it is born from a place of need, inspiration, and reinvestment in a community. That is how this whole adventure began. I followed my heart to Hawaii. Then, despite all fears, I followed my heart to begin Gypsy. It has never failed me. I am grateful for every step of this exciting adventure."
1. Where do you find your daily inspiration? The sunshine, hearing the ocean when i fall asleep, floating on my back in the sea, bike riding under plumeria trees, and eating amazing food. That always works.
2. What is your most treasured item in your home? My record player
3.What is your favorite comfort food? Eggplant parmesan
4. When did you realize that you were an artist? Honestly, I believe so strongly that we are all artists. There was not one defining moment I can pinpoint when I decided I wanted to work in a creative field. I've been surrounded with so many inspiring people among my family and friends that I've always been an 'artist' for myself only - taking photos, writing tons, traveling, keeping sketchbooks. I guess this is the first time I found one of these arts that I could share with others; it's quite surprising. I honestly never realized others would ever consider me an artist; but I am honored to be called one!
5. Best advice you ever received? Follow your heart
6. Your best advice to an aspiring artist? Find your bliss and keep with it. Don't let the work behind it all overcome and stress you out. This is advice I am learning as I go; but it is so important if you are really creating and loving the process.
7. What is one thing people would not know about you? I drive a very beat up beach truck; it's a white pickup truck called 'Johnny Utah' (from Point Break.)
8. Are you a Lover of Vintage? Of course!!!!
9. Where can we find you next? (Blog Loversget attached easily) I'm excited to expand my line into swimwear in the coming months and will be releasing the first gypsy bikini.
10. What is your favorite thing to wear? Well, I'm from New York City and I guess I still love black....other than that, I have a pair of grey denim jeans with flowers that always make me smile, and a butterfly bracelet my 2 nieces made me.