Lovers Lane: Balthazar
Meet my secret Lover, Balthazar. (I already know what you may be thinking; "how could she, with that beautiful family and that handsome husband!") Don't get me wrong, I was a little hesitant at first; but just wait and see how this story unfolds. I promise you won't be disappointed, in me or in Balthazar.
You see, Balthazar and I met by accident, really. (Although I actually believe there are no accidents in life, just mere coincidences.) I was visiting a blog and innocently left a comment, thinking I was talking about someone I had already known about, named Balthazar; but it turned out that it was not the same Balthazar. I figured this honest mistake out when I checked my email later that same day and had a message in my inbox from Balthazar, asking if I was "that Samantha." I did not know who "that Samantha" was because there was no way "my" Balthazar would know who I was. But who was "this Balthazar,?" I wondered. So I immediately took at look at the website that was attached to his email; and it was Love at first sight. (Again, I know what you are thinking. Hold that thought.)
I fell in Love with the idea of Balthazar, created by Balthazar. Balthazar calls himself an "imaginary sailor, pretend photographer." But Balthazar is kidding himself. He is a dreamer and an artist. He is a Lover and a friend. He is hope and comfort. He is playful and naughty. And he is able to be all of these things and more, if you simply request for him to write you a letter. Yes, a real letter; handwritten on beautiful, embossed, personalized letterhead, with a polaroid photo attached, sealed in an envelope that is artfully stamped with care and confidentiality, and delivered directly to your mailbox. Balthazar is the (almost) forgotten and lost art of hand written letter writing, personified.
|My letter from Balthazar|
Balthazar will write a letter to anyone who requests one. If you ever feel lonely, need a smile, want to feel sexy, or are just a curious person, like Balthazar, request your letter here. And for a small fee, (the price of film,) "you will also receive a carefully curated polaroid (he has) taken to accompany your letter. It will be your very own, completely original, Balthazar print, signed, and dated."
So, you may be wondering, 'why is Balthazar writing personalized letters to strangers and taking voyeuristic and risque photographs with his favorite polaroid camera, SX-70?' "Simply, I have no idea," he says. But, on the contrary, to those who have had the good fortune of receiving one of his thoughtful and seductively, well-written letters. Balthazar has a unique and watchful eye, paired with a Loving and caring heart. Self-described as a "quiet and shy person," Balthazar knows exactly what he is doing with his "project." He also encourages you to write back to him. "In fact, (he) Loves receiving letters almost as much as writing them. So please, pretty please, write (him) a letter. It doesn't even have to be dirty, (although that is encourage, of course.)" He promises to cherish your letter forever.
Balthazar's letters are full of magic and will make you feel so special. They are innocent, yet revealing. For, in the words of Mark Twain; "The frankest and freest product of the human mind and heart is a Love letter."
To me, Balthazar's letters are remarkable gifts of remembrance; for who you are and what you want to be; and most importantly, a lesson on how to show Love, and be open to receiving the Love you deserve and cherish, with all your heart and soul. So, Thank You Balthazar, you have shown me all of this and more, in your letter addressed to me!
Now, it is your turn. Balthazar is waiting for your request for a letter. Don't be shy; just be patient. He is only one person, anyhow. But, none the less, a gentleman, with a lot of Love to give, and a whole lot more . . .
1. Where do you find your daily inspiration? I never seek inspiration. I find it best to just be open to it. Maybe I'll find it in a song. Maybe I'll find it in a book I'm reading. Maybe I'll find it in a photo. Or a body. Or a cup of perfect coffee. Or a stranger carrying a frying pan on the bus. You just never know where it will come from.
2. What is your most treasured item in your home? I have difficulty picking favorites. I'm so variable. It would probably be a book. Perhaps a very old copy of Moby Dick with incredible woodcut illustrations.
3.What is your favorite comfort food? Spaghetti all carbonara. I had it on my first Roman holiday and fell in love. So simple, so devilishly good.
4. When did you realize that you were an artist? I don't know if I have yet. If other people want to call me an artist, I am really humbled and honored. It's an aspiration, something I'm more comfortable pretending to be.
5. Best advice you ever received? Judge not.
6. Your best advice to an aspiring artist? Seduce a rich benefactor.
7. What is one thing people would not know about you? I lived in a monastery for a while and wanted to be a monk.
8. Are you a Lover of Vintage? Yes, indeed. I like things and places that have a real tangible past.
9. Where can we find you next? (Blog Lovers get attached easily)
Who knows. Hopefully on the sea or at a party where people dance around in their underwear or in a sexy gallery show.
10. What is your favorite thing to wear? In these colder months it has been a vintage Christian Dior plaid suit. Soon, I hope it will be my vintage seersucker suit.